Friday, March 9, 2018

Show Solidarity- Be an Ally ,in our Struggle!


International Women’s’ Day 2018

Show Solidarity - Be An Ally in Our Struggle!

Migrant workers are often spoken about and constructed in a variety of ways from “victim” and “runaway”-implies ownership (both mainly applied to women) to  “illegal violater absconder”– criminal to “OFW” and “Hero” by the Philippine state. Each one leads onto different treatment of migrant workers and shapes their behavior and ability to speak out and represent themselves on their rights and demand protection and justice.

On International Women’s’ Day, Kanlungan asked women migrant workers how would they describe themselves:

I'm like a bamboo - even how many typhoons I’m still trying to be strong, so that I will not fall. Sometimes you bow because of so much problems that you are facing constantly. Sometimes I will bend where the wind blows so that I will not be hurt again so much, then I will stand and be strong.

Facing problems is by giving time on how to possibly solve the problem and find solutions. This process is not only applicable to women migrant workers but to all is well. The only difference I think is that you have to make strong decisions as a migrant worker because you are away from home and good friends that always gives you advice regarding the problem that you are facing.

As a woman migrant worker I can describe myself as someone having positive actions in all the problems that I have encountered. Like by avoiding the young sir who was courting me - it is a violation of my right as an OFW.

As a woman migrant worker the hardest part to accept is I'm looking after someone's child while my own kids are hungry for my touch.

As a woman migrant I will describe myself as someone who will not leave the country again if there is job opportunities waiting for me in the Philippines.

I would describe myself as a strong woman because I left my child behind for his future and that's the painful part of being a mother.

I became strong in all the problems that I encountered as a woman migrant worker

As a woman migrant work it was not easy to adjust but in some way I can describe myself as BRAVE

As a woman with power  “ Woman Empowerment”.

Women migrant workers struggle is to be strong, brave and feel powerful in the everyday and in their lives must be recognized, celebrated and be the foundation upon which any interventions are designed to support them. ‘Protection’ for women migrant workers must not be built upon an asymmetrical power relation that undermines their strength.

The struggle for women migrant workers also includes working together with other migrant workers and their allies to fight to reduce the number of “sacrifices” and “problems” they face due to gender discrimination and inequality, exploitation, abuse, control and violence.

Many migrant workers show solidarity with other workers day to day, others have individually or organized as a group to call for their rights and justice, often by social media. These independent practices of mutual support and collective action should be recognized and supported.

We must continue to struggle for ALL migrant workers human and labour rights.

As “women’s rights are human rights”, this includes women migrant workers struggle against systemic discrimination, gender inequality and discriminatory gender norms and stereotypes that underlie certain practices, beliefs and behaviours. Subsequently when we speak of ‘protection’ for women migrant workers these rights must also be included.

There are competing claims to ‘protect’ women migrant workers – some are rights based, others are not – few include women’s rights.

Every time policies of protection for women migrant workers are suggested they must be scrutinized for: the rationale that lies behind, the type of power relations created, whether women migrant workers are central in their development and evaluation and the consequences to women’s and labour rights.

This is now more urgent globally as all migrant workers face increasing surveillance and mechanisms to control them – with some legitimized in the name of humanitarian ‘Protection’. This has added to the considerable risks and dangers facing migrants. ‘Protection’ must be grounded in solidarity with the migrant workers struggles.

Women migrant workers have a voice they just need to feel empowered to use it and people need to be encouraged to listen. More must be done to create sustainable space where women migrant workers can collectively bring their demands in person.

Women’s movements must be inclusive with diverse groups of women, including migrant workers representing and speaking for themselves. (Women can become powerful it doesn't need to include the domination of another) All women's work needs to be noticed and valued, not just those that are most visible.

Women migrant workers need to be recognized as political speaking beings, so they can assume positions of authority and influence in their own movement.


                  Celebrate as Women Migrant Workers
                        Who You Are and What You Do!

I am proud that I have seen my children, siblings, nieces and nephews finish their studies and also to provide things they need.

I'm proud to help families and relatives on the financial, you become more independent, strong and smart in making decisions.

I'm very proud to say that I am a strong woman, brave and show to my employers that I have a real principle as a migrant woman, that no one can break my positive decision in life.

I am proud that I was able to help my family and am proud of my profession.

I'm proud of being me. I'm proud that I am not only a woman, but a daughter, sister, mother to my children. But beyond all I've said I'm proud I am a father to my children. I'm proud of myself because for almost 6 years I learned how to become a man. Without asking anybody to support my children. I did it all by myself. I'm proud of myself when sometimes I look back at all the pain and hardship I surpassed. I'm proud I am strong enough.

As a mother I am proud that I have established my family and sent my children to school even though I am a solo parent.

I'm proud I was able to defend myself and help others as well.

I'm proud that I was able to establish and send my children to school. As a parent, education is the only thing they can inherit from me. I'm happy because my children are studying hard, even though how tired I am in my work, my sacrifices are with it.

I am proud because I was able to withstand being a mother and father to my children (to support their studies)

I am proud because in some ways I was able to go to another country at least I have learned a lot from the country where I was.

Women migrant workers strive to cope and develop themselves often in very difficult circumstances – whilst building many other peoples lives upon their shoulders.

                   Show these women the RESPECT they deserve!



No comments:

Post a Comment